There are a number of services that are not publicly funded, and these vary from country to country. Since neither mutual agreement provides comprehensive coverage, travelers must purchase comprehensive travel insurance, including health insurance. An Australian citizen or permanent resident who has been in New Zealand for two years or more or who can demonstrate a reasonable intention to remain in New Zealand for two years or more is entitled to all publicly funded services and may enroll in an OPS and receive the same health benefits as a fully eligible person. (2) It should be noted that the United Kingdom interprets `temporary stay` as staying for a maximum of six months. New Zealanders travelling to the UK for more than six months will continue to have access to the National Health Service, but will have to pay a health supplement for immigration as part of their visa application from 6 April 2016. For more information, please visit the website. The New Zealand Department of Health (external link) provides further information on the reciprocity agreement with the United Kingdom (external link). UK citizens may also be entitled to other publicly funded services under other criteria. For example, if they have a work visa that, with a stay on another previous visa, allows them to be in New Zealand without interruption for two years or more (i.e.

fully eligible), or if they need maternity services and have a partner who is eligible. More information on the UK health system is available on the Department of Health website (external link). To access these services, you will need to register with an NHS GP. Visit the NHS website (external link) or if you need medical advice quickly and it is not an emergency, call 111. (External link) New Zealanders are also advised that if they visit the UK on a visitor visa valid for 6 months or less, this National Health Service care does not extend to routine and non-urgent treatments by a GP or dentist. You usually have to pay for these services, as well as a fee for any medications you need. If you came to the UK specifically for medical treatment, you will have to pay for it. New Zealand has a Reciprocal Health Agreement (external link) with the United Kingdom on the provision of emergency medical care in the event of an emergency occurring during the stay in the United Kingdom.

The agreement applies to any person who is normally a resident and citizen of New Zealand – regardless of nationality – and treatment is granted under the same conditions as for residents of the United Kingdom. New Zealand has reciprocal health agreements with Australia and the United Kingdom. Under these agreements, certain services for persons covered by the agreements may be financed from public funds. These services may be financed to the same extent as for a national of the country in which he or she is temporarily travelling or staying. If you live permanently in the UK, work in the UK or study in the UK for more than 6 months, you are entitled to the full range of treatments available to UK citizens under the National Health Service (NHS) (external link). These are usually free at the point of delivery, although there are charges for medicines, dental treatments, glasses and some medical equipment. When using services under a mutual agreement, a person cannot register with a primary health care organization (OPH). You should receive the same health allowances as a New Zealand citizen visiting a GP as an occasional patient if the doctor has decided that the condition requires immediate attention. They can register with a GP and should be given an NHI number if they don`t already have one. For more information on the Mutual Health Care Agreement, please visit this website or email [email protected].

You can also call Medicare directly on 0061 2 9895 3333. A citizen of the United Kingdom (UK) is entitled to treatment (medical, hospital and related) on the same basis as a New Zealand citizen if: If you exchange the words « UK » or « Australian » for « New Zealand » and the words « New Zealand » for « UK » or « Australian » in the relevant summaries above, you will see what are the agreements on the rights of New Zealand citizens and holders of residence class visas in these countries. state. Copies of the mutual health agreements as enacted in New Zealand legislation are linked below: For more information on which state-funded services you would be eligible for and how much they might cost, you will need to contact the consulates of those countries. There are significant differences. For example, emergency services in Australia may not be publicly funded and can be very expensive. (3) New Zealand generally interprets the term « temporary stay » as a stay of less than 2 years by a person who does not have permanent residence in New Zealand or who has been in possession of a work visa for more than 2 years. New Zealand and Australia have a reciprocal health care agreement, which means that New Zealand citizens travelling to Australia are entitled to limited subsidized health services for medically necessary treatments during their visit to Australia. The mutual health agreement covers medically necessary treatments. Medically necessary treatment means any illness or injury that occurs while you are in Australia and needs to be treated before you return home. Nevertheless, we recommend that you take out insurance coverage adapted to the duration of your trip.

Mutual health arrangements are no substitute for the need for private travel health insurance. . A citizen or permanent resident of Australia, including the territories of the Cocos Islands and Christmas Island, is covered by the New Zealand-Australia Mutual Health Agreement if: In the event of a life-threatening emergency, please call 999. You can contact any of them and apply to be put on their list for NHS treatment. The UK Mutual Health Agreement is limited to UK citizens and does not apply to UK permanent residents. (1) In order to assess whether a citizen of the United Kingdom has his `habitual residence` in the United Kingdom, the duration of the absence from the United Kingdom is relevant. This agreement remains in place, but New Zealanders staying in the UK on a visa for more than six months will have to pay a health supplement for immigration as part of their visa application from 6 April 2016. Please visit (external link) for more information. Australian visitors to New Zealand are not entitled to state-funded emergency ambulance transportation. This includes both injury-free and emergency transportation. Similarly, New Zealand visitors to Australia are not entitled to state-funded emergency ambulance transportation.